How to make a Fairy House

Q. What do you make a 3 year old god-daughter who loves fairies and is having a birthday soon? Answer: A fairy house. I saw the idea on another steampunk or Victorian technology site, can’t remember where, and thought I’d have a go. This one is quite a bit different but has the key idea of a light behind a silhouette of fairies inside a jar. Silhouette jar scenes were a cool Victorian invention, using either candles or electric light.

dasd

Lit up. Looks great with flashes

Step 1: Gather the bits you’ll need- an old box which you’ll need to stain and lacquer a nice Jarrah/Redwood colour, an old bottle/jar that is already “frosted” (or you can “frost” it with a light spray of white paint inside,) a lace doily, an old torch 3v or 4.5 volt lamp, an old TV remote control, an old switch, a set of party glasses with flashing red and blue LEDs, some electrical wire, and a few screws and washers. (You could buy the bits but I used almost all second-hand or bits hanging around).

Step 2: Cut off the battery part of remote control and wire up to old switch and torch lamp – the lamp goes up into jar middle (you can see them in the photo). Pull out the LED flashing lights and battery parts from glasses and install also from under the lid up into the inside of jar (see pics). Find some fairy design ideas and cut out of black paper or painted card, and stick to inside of jar. Add cute butterflies to box. Attach doily to jar and screw down to box. Add some screws and bits and a nice name plate. Oh, I glued the top of an old pearl earing onto the LED flasher switch to cover up the modern tech.

You'll need the flashing LEDs and battery compartment

You'll need the flashing LEDs and battery compartment

Paint the screws brass colour. Voila, it’s done.

Some fairy in forest silouettes

Some fairy in forest silouettes

An old jar makes a great fairy house

An old jar makes a great fairy house

The battery compartments and switches all wired up

The battery compartments and switches all wired up.

Torch lamp and LEDs installed under where jar goes

Torch lamp and LEDs installed under where jar goes

Advertisements

Camberwell shopping expedition

We had a great day shopping for more Steampunk things at the Camberwell markets.  I found a nice case to build my old laptop into, plus some nice little ornamentation thingys, and Laena bought several coats. We met up with Kate and Connie but I couldn’t find Dr. Watson anywhere. (Forgot to take a group photo, oh well, we’ll just have to *go again* soon ).

Our daughter with choker I made

Our daughter with choker I made

Prof. Unclefesta still can't work out Norwegian twisting rulers

Prof. Unclefesta still can't work out Norwegian twisting rulers

How to make a steampunk raygun – part 2

Ladies and gentlemen, now that you have completed Step 1, it’s time to re-size and connect the relevant parts. Because we are building a raygun to defend against Venusians rather than Martians, we need to re-size the polarising ethereal disperser and then gas-weld it to the front of the longitudinal energy modulator. (Don’t be confused because those parts look like an boiled-egg-stand and a candleholder, that is merely a coincidence). Similarly, connect the longitudinal energy modulator to the energy chamber. See pictures below…

You may want to see Part 1 beforehand.

Please note that this is copyright text, from Chapter 3 of  “How to Defend Yourself from Ethereal Invaders from Mars, Venus and Beyond”- soon on sale in better bookstores. Full plans can also be delivered by Airship direct to your door for a minor fee.

Resizing

Resizing

Attaching

Attaching

My 35 year old home-made Crystal radio and a strained back

Well it’s in need of a bit of tender loving care and maybe a paint job, but here’s one of my earliest DIY projects- a real working radio, powered solely by the electro-magnetic rays 🙂 ie no power source. It’s 35 years old at least, maybe almost 40 (hey I was young once). Pretty primitive but it worked (and still does). You can hear AM stations faintly.

Haven’t been able to work on the raygun or other things because I strained my back 8-(

But now its better so I’m looking forward to more cutting and welding!

Anyway, here’s the radio pre-cleanup and paint.

My first crystal radio

My first crystal radio